Pages

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Trail Names

Being on a long trail, in the wilderness and responsible only for oneself, is a completely different life from the 9-5 many of us live back home. Most people take on a new name while they're on the trail to indicate this perceived separation of existence.

Often times, these names are granted by others, describing a trait or special ability or referring cryptically to a memorable event. Sometimes, people come up with their own names. Some people have trail names without even knowing it (My brother, Chris, is known as Crash. I'd nominate that as a pretty good trail name!).

My trail name is/will be Moxie. It was partly given and partly chosen.

Back in 2005, I had a minor crisis as I was preparing to transfer to UC Davis from community college. I needed to immediately enroll for 9 units of classes in order to meet the transfer requirements. The catch: when I received this news, it was the middle of summer and my college's add-class deadlines for summer school had passed weeks ago.

I got online and found two colleges whose registration deadlines were TOMORROW! IN LOS ANGELES! 350 MILES AWAY FROM WHERE I LIVED! I filled out the registration paperwork and faxed it to the colleges, then searched their catalogs for online courses that were eligible for transfer to UC. I put my name on the wait-lists and emailed the professors explaining that I would be adding their classes late and please email me the syllabus so that I could start on the coursework right away.

A week goes by, then two... and one of the colleges had still not processed my registration. The deadline to add the class late had passed! I emailed the professor asking her to be my advocate in getting special permission to add the class late, since I had been participating and doing the work. Her response: "You're still hanging in there?!?! girl, you've got MOXIE! I don't see people like you very often. Sure, I'll speak for you."

And with those few words, my academic career was saved.

I had to ask my mom what MOXIE was. And I've never forgotten since: sass, courage, spunk, verve, pep, unmitigated gall, determination, fortitude, know-how, cleverness. The word suits me 100%.

Moxie, and all the words used to describe it, are words that I've heard in conversation as I tell people about my upcoming adventure. So I'll take it as a trail name.

Plus, I've always wished to have an X in my name (it's a pretty bad ass letter. Jonathan adds "If you have an X in your name, it means you've seen some shit").

What would your trail name be if you could choose it?

1 comment: