Pages

Friday, March 2, 2012

Gear List

Okey dokey, true to word I've compiled my gearlist in Excel and posted it. Check out the link at the top of the page just below the John Muir quote.

My chart is missing weights for a few things, but I have the bulk of my gear weighed. I tried to include everything that I am responsible for moving. That includes the clothing I'm wearing, although others don't always include this in their total pack weight, arguing that it's not in their pack (Cheaters. You still have to carry it on your body!) This measurement of EVERYTHING is called "Skin Out Weight".

There are two totals: One is my regular skin-out weight. The other is my Sierra skin-out weight. The reason for the separation is that the Sierras require some extra gear: bear resistant food canisters, and potentially an ice axe and traction devices, depending on the snow level (we'll see how March goes).

I haven't measured consumables (food, water, fuel, sunscreen, hand sanitizer, soap, toothpaste, toilet paper). The way I'm going to handle that is to measure the weight of the empty container--since that is constant--and call it good enough.

I had been vaguely dreading the total tally. I had a rough idea that I would come in under 20 lbs based on the manufacturers' spec sheets for my gear. I was crossing my fingers that I'd be under 18 for my "regular" weight. I was downright giddy when I came in at 14.3 lbs and ran around the house telling all of our roommates that my pack is only 14.3 lbs so far! They've heard me talk about this long enough to know that it was good news :)

1 comment: